Athlete Leadership Intern / Sports Management
Special Olympics Maryland
Our Athlete Leadership programs can take athletes even farther -- as leaders and spokespeople respected in their communities. Our athletes can become mentors for other athletes, officials, and public roles as a speaker or spokesperson, telling audiences about changes that Special Olympics helped bring to their lives. Many athletes choose to undergo training to learn presentation skills so they can help spread the message of Special Olympics to the general public. Some are selected by the Board of Directors to serve as Sargent Shriver International Global Messengers. Many athletes are trained to engage in policy discussions and to articulate their opinions to community and government leaders. This position would be tasked with developing, planning and executing a variety of athlete training opportunities across the state in different region of Maryland. This position would also gather resources and recruit specialists from the Maryland community who would offer a higher level of training for the athletes. Examples of specialists could include acting teachers, people to speak on
leadership, PowerPoint/Prezi experts, social media specialist, Photography/Video specialists, voice coaches, etc
- Develop content and present athlete leader workshops to Athlete Leadership Program participants on a mutually agreed upon topic of interest/expertise.
- Recruit ‘ALPs’ Faculty from local professionals interested in providing training workshops to athlete leaders.
- Researching and gathering resources for interactive and relevant trainings.
- Highlight accomplishments of Athlete Leaders through story writing and website/social media posts.
- Submit Athlete Leadership stories for publication in news outlets, including SOMD IMPACT newsletter, Special Olympics International Newsletter, and local print and television news outlets.
- Track athlete leader opportunities over the course of internship, for purposes of reporting and publicity.
Learning Outcomes: The Athlete Leadership Intern will gain experience in the following:
- Public Speaking
- Program Planning and Management
- Community Networking
- Social Media
- Current college student seeing a credit-based internship.
- Strong public speaking skills or desire to improve them
- Ability to work independently and in team settings
- Comfort with technology including social media, Microsoft Office, email, etc.
- Enjoys working with people, good communication skills and sense of humor.
How To Apply For This Internship