This internship within the Michigan State Department of Intercollegiate Athletic Sales and Marketing office is formulated to provide entry-level opportunities in the sports marketing field. Beginning on January 1, 2016, the Athletic Department internalized all of the student sections associated with the 25 varsity sports (The Izzone, The Munnsters, and the football student section, etc), which were previously overseen primarily by the MSU's Association of Future Alumni and student groups on campus. The graduate intern will be the primary contact to manage these student section groups. The sales & marketing office is responsible for the development and sales of ticket packages, student entry on gameday, t-shirt design and distribution, advertising, social media, attendance data analytics, special events, giveaways and promotions geared to enhance and engage students on gameday and around campus. We will also manage a group of student leaders, sub-committees, and street teams to help in the execution of these initiatives as a part of ASSET (Athletics Student Section Engagement Team). The position may also help the sales & marketing office with formatting and executing marketing plans and scripts, executing promotions, corporate partner support, ticketing support and administrative duties. This is a 40-hour a week paid internship, while benefits may be available through the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
- Preferred candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, sports management or related field
- Prior experience working with student sections is preferred
- The candidate must be well organized and demonstrate an ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively work with a large and diverse population
- Possess creativity and the ability to perform in a fast-paced environment
- Have proficiency with computer applications and general office software programs
- Position requires untraditional work hours and weekends